Thursday 24 March 2011

Low Cheekbones

Hello out there, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to write again.
Sadly I have been unnecessarily busy with school. But that is not an excuse to let my blogging fall apart.

Anyways I've been thinking, and that's never good, about conversations. Now I don't mean about the weather, or how your sister is doing in Alaska, or that article in the paper that no one but you read. I'm talking meaningful, thought-inducing, clever, insightful, revealing conversation.

See I seem to have this gift. People love to tell me things, secrets, worries, ideas, feelings, sorrows, joys, humors, all of the above. Now I could never figure out why, especially since I have also been told that I can come off as intimidating. That's not the usual combo for these things. But never the less everyone I know loves to tell me things. No matter the topic, or level of secrecy. For a while I defined it as the principle that the always humorous character from NBC's "The Office", Dwight Schrute. Now Dwight attributes his ability to gain information from people to his low cheekbones (Season 6, Episode 2). Dwight explains that in low cheekbones trigger people to trust him, as he appears less threatening.

Is this really the case? It's possible. My cheekbones are pretty low. But what makes people to eager to confess all their thoughts to me? Don't get me wrong, I love helping people, and I have a fantastic understanding of the human condition when it comes to relationships. I'm flattered that people make me they're rock and that I have the opportunity to advise the people I care about. I love so many parts about how much people confide in me, and respect my opinion.

With that being said there is one thing that I don't love about my 'gift' if you will. I can't turn it off. With everyone expecting me to invest in their lives mine seems to fall through the cracks. It's causing me stress. Having so many people in need of my gift. The worst part is that you would expect the people you care about to understand that you can only handle so much, but I've set myself up for a bit more than I can handle.

My solution you ask? Well I'm only focusing on a few people at a time, and have tried to make my advice giving more of encouraging a skill set for the future. Giving ideas to those who ask for them that will keep them able to sustain the happiness I help them achieve. Wow that sounds proud, I don't mean to sound braggadocios. Also I have decided to make myself less available. I need a break from working on the troubles of other, and need to step up taking care of myself. I've recently become so overwhelmed that I struggle to sleep, and have all sorts of different stress symptoms. So as I focus on calming my nerves, I will be checking in. But for now I have a brand new episode of Grey's to watch.

Thank you for listening, and if you need some life advice, I'm here, with all my wisdom ;).

That's all for now.
Stay Peachy.

No comments:

Post a Comment