Wednesday 2 March 2011

Jeans

Something struck me the other day.

How ridiculous is the acceptance of jeans. I mean in what other universe is it acceptable to walk around in blue pants everyday. And the versatility. Not only are they blue, a color which looks good on just about everyone, but they happen to be able to be transformed from a look for daytime to a look for a night out very easily.

Now I realize that they are not the only pants that are widely accepted as a staple of everyday wardrobe, but most other clothing of this sort (i.e. khakis) are usually a "neutral earth tone" as Stacy and Clinton would say. What other daily occurrence is as universal to every gender, age, race, and country? I personally can't think of one.

I'm not completely diluted in my thinking of the oddity of the universality of these blue denim pants we call 'jeans'. I realize they come in different colors, washes, and styles. But those can all be attributed to recent trends, and variation caused by popularity. What I really wonder is where the original jeans came from. Who wore them? Why were they dyed blue? Why did they catch on?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't part of the herd of jeans wearing people out there, I am, and I love my real straight dark wash from the Gap. I'm just questioning where the origin of the pants we all love and wear so very frequently came from. And more importantly what would the blue clad world look like if they were say green, or yellow? Personally as someone who does not look good in yellow, I'm glad to have my good-old, trusty, blue jeans.

That's all for now.
Stay Peachy.

No comments:

Post a Comment